The Case Management program helps seniors who are aged 60 or older with physical or cognitive limitations who need assistance managing activities of daily living.
A Case Manager will help you access the services and resources you need in order to age safely in place. A Case Manager can assist you in your home and over the phone to:
- Assess for and coordinate for you to receive supportive DFTA-funded services such as home-delivered meals, Bill Payer Program, Friendly Visiting and/or home care. Home delivered meals have a suggested contribution and DFTA funded home care includes a sliding scale fee based on income. Bill Payer and Friendly Visiting are free. Eligibility includes having some functional limitations and limited/no formal and informal supports. Note: You cannot receive DFTA home care if you are eligible for the Medicaid Personal Care Program. Your case manager will help you access the services you need from Medicaid.
- Connect you to other community or borough-based services.
- Evaluate your benefit/entitlement needs and support you in navigating these systems.
- Advocate with landlords, utility companies, and benefit programs.
- Provide counseling on long-term care issues.
- Regularly contact you to ensure that the services you are receiving continue to meet your needs as well as assess overall wellbeing.
Friendly Visiting Program
The Friendly Visiting Program is a free, volunteer based service provided to Case Management clients who are isolated, homebound, and interested in engaging in a weekly visit with a friend/volunteer. Volunteers are screened and matched based on interest and meet weekly in the client’s home for one hour. Visits consist of mutually agreed upon activities, sometimes just talking, playing cards or having coffee. These friendships often develop into meaningful relationships for both the client and volunteer.
This program is funded by Department for the Aging (DFTA) and some services are free while others have a suggested contribution or sliding scale fee. Call to get more information at 718-981-6226, Option 2.